1. ANTES (noun) = (plural form of ANTE) the amount of money that a player must bet at the beginning of play in a poker game 2. ANTSY (adj) = impatient and unable to keep still 3. ASTER (noun) = a type of plant that is grown in gardens for its colorful flowers 4. ATOMS … Read more
Discreet relationship The term of "discreet relationship" normally found when looking online (dating websites). It indicates a secret affair. This kind of relationship is normally short-term with no string attached. :)
ANIMOSITY is a noun. It means a strong feeling of dislike or hatred. Examples:
- There has always been animosity between them. (= They have always disliked each other.)
- He felt nothing but animosity toward his boss. (=He disliked his boss very much.)
- We put aside our personal animosities so that we could work together.
SMUG is an adjective. It means having or showing the annoying quality of people who feel very pleased or satisfied with their abilities, achievements, etc. Examples:
- It's OK to celebrate your success, but try not to be too smug about it.
- You can wipe that smug look off your face.
- Her career as a diplomat has brought her enormous prestige.
- The job has low pay and low prestige.
- The family has wealth and social prestige.
The word 'OVERWHELM' has both positive and negative meanings. Example - Positive way
- Her neighbor's kindness overwhelmed her.
- She was overwhelmed by grief. (=she felt grief so strongly that she was unable to think or act in a normal way.)
TYPICAL is an adjective. Definitions: 1. normal for a person, thing, or group: Average or usual. Examples:
- We had a typical (=normal) New England winter.
- It was typical of her to be late. (=She's often late.)
- It was a typical Saturday night for us.
- We … Read more
EXTERNAL is an adjective. It means located, seen, or used on the outside or surface of something Examples: 1. The Manager said 'An external service provider could help the company do things we can't do. 2. This medication is intended only for external use. = for use on the skin. 3. Pool areas, café-style … Read more
Conscious is an adjective. Its definitions and some examples are as follows: 1. Awake and able to understand what is happening around you. EX. Is the patient conscious yet? The doctor asked. 2. Aware of something (such as a fact of feeling). EX. He is conscious of being a role model for children. 3. Known … Read more