Firstname Refreshme lastname

Type of clothing: it's usually worn by men. A cloth jacket and it has leather patches where the elbows are. Often seen in old movies being worn by writers who are typing away working on their novels. Is there a name for this style of jacket?


5 Answers

Ancient Hippy Profile
Ancient Hippy answered

I think they are a take off of the Shooting Jacket, which also had a leather patch on the shoulder for the butt of a gun. Professors and writers don't need shoulder patches so they only have them on the elbows.

Michael Poland Profile
Michael Poland answered

Mr. Rodgers use to wear one on his show.

I believe its called a cardigan.

Maurice Korvo Profile
Maurice Korvo answered

It was called a "I can't afford a new jacket, so I will put leather patches on the elbows to cover the worn parts" but it became popular. Don't know what they call it now.  It became a fad, and tailors started making jackets with the patches.

Answer Question